Monday, November 05, 2007

Imperfection is Perfection

I was reminded of my Richard Sachs t-shirt yesterday when Madeline and I were playing soccer at Look Park. This happened to be the same day that the Cycle-Smart International Cyclocross race was going on in the Park. While we kicked the ball around, I saw Richard himself cruising around. I would have said hello, but I've actually not ever met Richard in person and I think I only ever spoke to him once or twice while I was at Rivendell. Anyway, my favorite houseblogger, Bill at enonhall.com, also posted a similar sentiment. I think we need more of this, not less!
clipped from enonhall.com
The beading tool is really a scraper with blades for different profiles. The tool comes with two fences that guide you along the edge of the board. One is for curves and one is for straight runs. The curves take a little practice, especially when your curves takes you across the grain like mine do. Scraping a straight bead with the grain is fast and easy...and a lot of fun. You simply make pass after pass, lowering the blade as you go, and scraping away more and more of the wood to reveal the profile.

So far, my beads look pretty good. They're not perfect, but I also didn't want them to be. I like looking at work like this and being able to see that somebody took the time to do it by hand. That, to me, is cooler to see than seeing it be absolutely perfect. Perfection is boring. -- Bill
 blog it

No comments: