After a year in residence, we decided in about 3 minutes that it was time to start demolishing the kitchen. After tearing out some cabinets over the course of a few days and moving some things around, we decided at 7:34am one fine morning to tear up the floor. What was revealed under two layers of linoleum was "black crap." But nestled protectedly under said crap, are awesomely handsome maple floorboards. Just like the rest of the first floor. So, off to HD to rent some buffer, and hours later here's what happened. Now we're also nearly done with the plaster ceiling restoration, hence the ceiling goop in tubs on the floor. The rest of the black crap can be seen to the left. We're only 1/2 way done, and we'll need to complete some finish sanding too (20, 60, 80, 120, 220 grit...we've done the 20 so far). Then we cap it with 4 or 5 coats of Velvit.