Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Island in the Sun


IMAGE0005.JPG, originally uploaded by Jrome.

Here's a little look at the island. It's constructed of 3/4" maple plywood. The side facing the window is open. The full length door attached to the custom fabricated pull-out trash can will cover that up. Over here on the dark side (or do I have it turned around? --it is on wheels ya know!), there will be a faux door, complete with towel rack style hardware. Just like the rest of the kitchen.

Here's a picture of the hardware, again, for those who haven't seen it all:IMAGE0008.JPG


Inside, besides the trash can pull-out there'll be a drawer that will house the trashbags and trashy stuff. The drawer functions as a lid to the trash can, so that when the "trash drawer" is closed, the upper drawer sits directly over the top, sealing in the stink with a rubber gasket affixed to its bottom.

I sometimes wish I had a rubber gasket affixed to my bottom.

I promised I'd have some plans for the island up here. I will, but not just yet. I want to do it right. Check back.

The kitchen is now more or less done. I created a list of stuff that still has to be done or installed, and it is lengthy. But right now, our kitchen has full functionality. It feels good to have completed this much. There's still more to go, but how many kitchen remodels do you know of that took over a year, cost less than $20k for deluxe stuff including all appliances, and the humans never had to live a day without the sink or stove? I don't know of any...I'm sure there are millions, so spare me your details. Just a little pride talking here...I just need to let myself believe that a job like this can take a year and not be a disaster. Now I've done it.

Here are some pictures of our work so far. Pretty woody, huh?
IMAGE0006.JPG

IMAGE0007.JPG

IMAGE0011.JPG

No comments: